c++ question

Grant Robinson santiago at mr-r.net
Fri Sep 22 16:15:45 MDT 2006

On Sep 22, 2006, at 2:08 PM, Dave Smith wrote:

> Russel Caldwell wrote:
>> Sorry, I guess this is a bit off topic but does anybody know if
>> there is a
>> way of obtaining the address where a character array is pointing
>> to in C++?
>
> The pointer value *is* the address. For example:
>
>   char *foo = ....
>
>   printf( "The address is %p\n", foo );
>
> You do not need to use the & operator.

It depends on what you mean by "character array".  If you are talking
about a variable declared like so:

char myarray[32];

Then to get the address, you would do the following:

print("The address is %p\n", (&myarray));

If you are talking about a variable declared like:

char *myarray = new char[32];

Then the address is stored in 'myarray', and de-referencing 'myarray'
will give you the actual contents of the string.

Grant