Geek or Nerd?

Jacob Fugal lukfugl at gmail.com
Mon Sep 18 18:57:59 MDT 2006

On 9/18/06, Hans Fugal <hans at fugal.net> wrote:
> On Mon, 18 Sep 2006 at 11:35 -0700, Blake Barnett wrote:
> > >If you've read every book, I don't think geek or nerd is quite
> > >enough to describe you. Maybe omniscient would come closer.
> >
> > Wow, there are a lot of omniscient people in the world then!  I read
> > all the books but I didn't stand in line to see any of the movies
> > (Payson theater is nice that way.  haha)
>
> I think perhaps you misunderstood me. Or maybe it was me who
> (intentionally) misinterpreted ... oh nevermind, it'll just spoil the
> joke.

I'll spoil the joke, then... ;)

Blake, Hans was referring to *every* book -- not just the LOTR ones.
The structure of the email Hans was replying to left that a little
ambiguous.

But beyond that, I don't think it's fair to call anyone that's read
all three books (or four, if you've also read The Hobbit) a nerd --
not to them, nor to the Tolkien nerds. There is a *lot* of literature
surrounding Tolkien's works, and I don't mean fan fiction either.
There's lots of Tolkien writings in the same world as the LOTR yet
separate, and there's at least as many pages written by Christopher
Tolkien (JRR's son) in editorial and history on his father's works.
Anyone who's read all *those* books *is* omniscient -- as far as
Middle Earth is concerned. And definitely a nerd. :) [1]

Jacob Fugal

[1] I know all this because I too am a minor Tolkien nerd. I haven't
read all the books, but I've read some outside of the LOTR and wish to
have time to read more. :)