Geek or Nerd?

Jacob Fugal lukfugl at gmail.com
Mon Sep 18 09:42:08 MDT 2006

On 9/17/06, Kenneth Burgener <kenneth at mail1.ttak.org> wrote:
> For those who wear the badge with pride, do you call yourself a Geek, a
> Nerd, a Hacker, or some other term?

Geek.

Incidentally, looking at the comic on the wikipedia page, *if* I split
nerd vs. geek along the same axis (obsession vs. pragmatism) I'd
reverse Girl's judgement and put nerd on the obsessive side. The axis
I usually use to judge geek vs. nerd, however, is degree of social
ineptitude. By definition (from the Jargon file) geeks aren't the best
socialites, but that's often by choice (even if a subconcious one).
Geeks just prioritize social standing below accomplishment, etc. Nerds
on the other hand (in my definition) are those that don't understand
their lack of social skills, and can even get on the nerves of geeks
at times. :)

Remember, though, these are the definitions *I* use -- if you call
yourself nerd, don't worry that I'm going to think less of you,
because your definition of nerd may match my definition of geek. You
only have to worry about my opinion of you if *I* call you a nerd. And
then again, if you're a geek or nerd, you probably don't care about my
opinion of you, and with good reason. :)

Jacob Fugal