Common Linux Programs

Jason Holt jason at lunkwill.org
Wed Sep 13 12:51:22 MDT 2006

On Tue, 12 Sep 2006, Robert Lawrence wrote:

> I'm putting together two handouts/cheatsheets for a UVLUG presentation
> and I wanted to get some input from other linux users from around here
> as my knowledge is limited to my experience which is nowhere near as
> much as some on this list.
>
> The first handout I'm putting together is a commonly use program
> reference.  I'm sure we have all asked the question of "I know what

(From memory, except that I couldn't remember S.  Really though, I think it
should be strip instead of spell.)

The ABC's of Unix

a is for awk, which runs like a snail
b is for biff, which reads all your mail
c is for cc, as hackers recall
d is for dd, the command that does all
e is for emacs, which rebinds your keys
f is for fsck, which rebuilds your trees
g is for grep, a clever detective
h is for halt, which may seem defective
i is for indent, which rarely amuses
j is for join, which nobody uses
k is for kill, which makes you the boss
l is for lex, which is missing from DOS
m is for more, from which less was begot
n is for nice, which it really is not
o is for od, which prints out things nice
p is for passwd, which reads in strings twice
q is for quota, a berkeley-type fable
r is for ranlib, for sorting ar table
s is for spell, which tries to belittle
t is for true, which does very little
u is for uniq, which is used after sort
v is for vi, which is hard to abort
w is for whoami, which tells you your name
x is, well, X, of dubious fame
y is for yes, which makes an impression
z is for zcat, which handles compression