Laying down the glove to the ricers

Barry Roberts blr at robertsr.us
Mon Sep 11 13:04:12 MDT 2006

On Mon, Sep 11, 2006 at 10:39:09AM -0600, Steve Dibb wrote:

> To each his own, of course.  However with Debian I assume it doesnt ask
> you which system logger you want to choose I could be completely wrong,
> and I'm not trying to flame Debian in the least, I'm just pointing out
> that Gentoo gives you a choice between a few system loggers during
> installation.
>
> Plus, Debian's goals and Gentoo's are completely different anyway, so
> it's really not going to make sense comparing them anyway.  Debian gives
> you "a decent balance" as you said.  Gentoo gives you extreme
> customization from the kernel to the compilation flags for every package
> installed.

WHOA!  Hold it right there.  Are you sure you're a Gentoo user?

I stopped using Gentoo a few years ago because I had been using it for
a bout a year, and I'm pretty sure if you don't start dissing every
other distro and anybody who uses anything but Gentoo, they kick you
out.  JK, but your assessment sounds rational and fair.  Maybe you're
new to Gentoo ;-).

Barry Roberts