Laying down the glove to the ricers

Hans Fugal hans at fugal.net
Mon Sep 11 08:20:18 MDT 2006

On Sun, 10 Sep 2006 at 19:50 -0600, Alex Esplin wrote:
> You could start with an Ubuntu server install, which is pretty
> minimal, and as Levi said, add the necessary dependencies for VMWare.
> Another option would be to build a Gentoo system for it, which would
> probably be smaller and less resource intensive than the Ubuntu
> system,

Ok, I'm going to call your bluff. Gentoo is a lot of things, but less
resource intensive is not one of those things. Oh, you were talking
about the times when you're _not_ recompiling everything? Ok, let's
think it over.

Linux is Linux, and the software you run is the software you run. I dare
you to demonstrate a human-noticeable speedup in boot time or
minimalistic operating system setup that is due to compiler flags; I
believe you would fail. The alternative then is that you believe gentoo
has more streamlined startup scripts. Maybe gentoo does the parallel
startup stuff and gets you a prompt before all your daemons are started.
If so I commend gentoo. I think that's where we're all headed and I wish
we'd get there sooner than later. Maybe gentoo just has fewer installed
packages by default and therefore starts quicker because fewer daemons
start. I've never done an ubuntu server nor a gentoo install, but I
know it's really easy to disable or remove the daemons you don't want in
a Debian-based distro (not as easy to disable as it should be, but no
harder than any other distro in my experience either). Any admin worth
his salt will take stock of what daemons are being started and adjust
that to his needs anyway.

So, why in the world do you believe gentoo is less resource intensive?
You can partially restore my faith with the enhanced startup scripts
argument (if it's true), but once it's booted one won't be noticeably
more or less resource intensive than the other. I'll be happy to be
proven wrong. Show me the measured speedup with the same set of daemons
and same kernel configuration.

--
Hans Fugal ; http://hans.fugal.net

    -- Johann Sebastian Bach