No GCC in Ubuntu? [was: Re: Best Minimalist OS for VMPlayer?]

Alex Esplin alex.esplin at gmail.com
Sun Sep 10 21:16:25 MDT 2006

On 9/10/06, Thom Metge <uug_emetge at accident-prone.com> wrote:
> Ubuntu is a great destkop... but
> if you install off of their live CD, you should know before hand that it
> does NOT include GCC... a slight oversight??

I don't know if it's an oversight as much as that they are trying to
go in a "desktop distribution" direction and the powers that be
consider that those who want to use it as a development platform will
know how to get GCC, as well as which version they want, as there are
several available in the Ubuntu repositories.  On the same note, IMHO
the reason they don't include GCC in the standard install is to
lighten things up a little for the "desktop distribution" target
audience who will most likely never touch GCC.

--
Alex Esplin