Best Minimalist OS for VMPlayer?

Thom Metge uug_emetge at accident-prone.com
Sun Sep 10 21:01:12 MDT 2006

Gentoo is pretty quick, and you have much, much more control- which can
be a curse and a blessing.  If you want something super easy to install,
minimalist by nature, and fairly complete as a development platform, I'd
recommend Zenwalk- it's quite well done, and its goals seem to match your's.

I would avoid SUSE- YAST is a little... bloated?  Fedora is definitely
not the best choice... they take the Dell approach to installation-
install everything by default and make changing that default
configuration as tough as possible :)  Ubuntu is a great destkop... but
if you install off of their live CD, you should know before hand that it
does NOT include GCC... a slight oversight??

If you want something very stable, Debian is worth a look.  But my
recommendation (for what it's worth) goes to Zenwalk...

Tom