Best Minimalist OS for VMPlayer?

Alex Esplin alex.esplin at gmail.com
Sun Sep 10 19:50:24 MDT 2006

> There are a number of ways you could go about this, depending on how
> much effort you want to put into it.  To really minimize the
> resources needed by the host OS, you could build a minimal Linux
> system with only the libraries necessary for VMWare installed.  I'm
> not sure exactly what its requirements are these days, but you could
> possibly have just busybox, an X server, a lightweight window
> manager, and a lightweight terminal.

You could start with an Ubuntu server install, which is pretty
minimal, and as Levi said, add the necessary dependencies for VMWare.
Another option would be to build a Gentoo system for it, which would
probably be smaller and less resource intensive than the Ubuntu
system, and if you're lucky, there might be something in Portage that
would get most/all of the dependencies for you. Using -O2 or -Os in
your make.conf could result in a small yet responsive Gentoo system
with a minimal number of extraneous processes from which to host your
VMWare OS's.

Disclaimer:  I know next to nothing about VMware, even though I have
built an extremely compact Gentoo system and am planning another for
next time I have a couple of days without homework.

--
Alex Esplin