man eats crow, film at 11

Hans Fugal hans at fugal.net
Sun Sep 10 16:19:34 MDT 2006

On Sun, 10 Sep 2006 at 08:38 -0600, Stuart Jansen wrote:
> Josh is that rare combination, a technically skilled person who also has
> excellent business knowledge. He is happy to help others by sharing his
> knowledge. Since he arrived in Utah, he has worked not only to build a
> successful company but also to improve the situation of local IT
> employees while enriching the environment for employers.
>
> For that I owe him my thanks.
>
> I do not know what it is like to work for Berkly Data Systems, I can
> only guess based on the culture Josh would probably encourage. Josh has
> the ability to recognize and attract skilled people. It is always
> enjoyable to work with competent co-workers. I have heard from several
> sources that he "treats engineers like they are valuable, rather than a
> commodity." He was doing so before the hiring market became tight.
> Unfortunately, that is not as common as it should be. Josh should be
> commended.

I know both of these clowns and I do not hesitate to say that I would
jump at any chance to work with or for either of them. Our ducks haven't
lined up that way, although I did get to take a class or two with
Stuart. I once entertained the idea of applying at BDS even though it
didn't fit in with my life plans (go to grad school in a different
state), just because I believe I would enjoy working with Josh.

If you go only by the archives of this list, you might find that
incredulous (or you might not), because I have openly disagreed with
both Stuart and Josh on more than one occasion, if memory serves me.
Stuart and I have even had some amazing rows on IRC, about silly things
like Red Hat and Debian. But we really are thick-skinned friends, who
respect that the other has a different viewpoint and is willing to share
it and intellectually challenge eachother, without taking offense or
being mean-spirited.

It may be a social shortcoming, but I prefer the thick-skinned
opinionated blunt and honest friends and have little patience for people
that I would have to coddle to remain friends with. I am happy to say I
have many such friends on this list who remain my friends even after I
removed the list reply-to header a few times, and I count myself lucky
to know them.

--
Hans Fugal ; http://hans.fugal.net

    -- Johann Sebastian Bach