Best Minimalist OS for VMPlayer?

Levi Pearson levi at cold.org
Sun Sep 10 15:35:02 MDT 2006

On Sep 10, 2006, at 3:15 PM, Steve wrote:

> What I'm curious to know about though is if there is a "minimalistic
> OS" that I can use as a host OS for all my "appliances" images or
> whatever you want to call them.
> This way I can just quickly load the boot into the host OS, and have
> plenty of resources available for the player and any subimages I care
> to run.
> Any thoughts on this?

There are a number of ways you could go about this, depending on how
much effort you want to put into it.  To really minimize the
resources needed by the host OS, you could build a minimal Linux
system with only the libraries necessary for VMWare installed.  I'm
not sure exactly what its requirements are these days, but you could
possibly have just busybox, an X server, a lightweight window
manager, and a lightweight terminal.

Building really minimal systems from scratch is a lot less trouble
than trying to build a usable server or desktop machine from scratch,
so it might not be too bad.  But if it's more trouble than you're
looking to take, you could also try starting from a Debian base
system install and only adding the necessary packages.  Other
distributions might have a similar minimal install option, but I'm
not familiar with any.

		--Levi