Software Engineering

Daniel C. dcrookston at gmail.com
Sat Sep 9 21:27:41 MDT 2006

If I asked "How can I become a civil engineer" you wouldn't answer
with "A civil engineer designs bridges and buildings for non-military
use".  You'd say "First you get a degree in civil engineering from an
ABET-accredited institution.  Then you take the Fundamentals of
Engineering exam.  Assuming you pass the exam, you then work for a few
years under a licensed civil engineer.  For further questions you can
contact the American Society of Civil Engineers."

My question is not what you think a software engineer does or knows,
but whether anyone can point to an established process for becoming a
software engineer similar to the one I listed for becoming a civil
engineer.

Dan