Software Engineering

Jesse Stay jessestay at
Sat Sep 9 21:01:56 MDT 2006

Yes you've discovered that a "Software Engineer" is not a
"Professional Engineer".  I do think a "Software Engineer" can be a
broader term than a "Developer" though.  I see Software Engineers as
knowing more about processes, diagrams, and taking a project from
planning to implementation to testing to maintenance.  A Software
Engineer knows the difference between Waterfall and RAD or Agile
development practices.  A Software Engineer I see as someone who
actually "Engineers" a product, whereas a developer I see more in the
implementation phase of that product.  I don't know if there is a true
definition out there, but that is always how I have seen it.