perhaps a little too much honesty (was: RE: Job Posting (.04KReward!) Jr. Linux Admin + Windows Support)

Jonathan Ellis jonathan at carnageblender.com
Sat Sep 9 20:43:21 MDT 2006

On Sat, 09 Sep 2006 16:34:01 -0600, "Stuart Jansen"
<sjansen at buscaluz.org> said:
> On Sat, 2006-09-09 at 13:09 -0600, Josh Coates wrote:
> > stuart - this seems awfully inappropriate of you to bring up in a public
> > forum.  but since you have, i feel obligated to set the record straight -
> > we've had two employees that 'left quickly' because they were asked to
> > leave.  however, both of them are good people that i wish well.
>
> I don't feel that what I said should be taken as offensive.
> Perhaps I should have spelled it out for you more clearly. People we know have
> worked for you. They don't anymore. They haven't said anything bad about
> BDS/Mozy, but their short term with your company does leave the rest of
> us wondering what happened.

That makes sense.  But I don't see how else Josh could respond to such
wondering other than setting the record straight.

> A simple "their
> interests and our needs didn't intersect well" would have been better.

Oh, come on.  That may be inoffensive, but it sure doesn't resolve any
wondering.

> I'm pretty sure at least one "chose to leave" rather than being "asked
> to leave".

That could well be; if so, you're thinking of someone who didn't "leave
quickly," at least not how I measure such things.

> Rather than taking offense, If I were you I would have pointed out the
> number of people who love working with you and why.

Personally, I love working at BDS because I get to work on cool stuff,
my co-workers are Monster Hackers in the best sense, and Josh is
refreshingly open about how he runs the company.  (If you've ever
thought that you might want to start a company some day, you could do a
lot worse than working with Josh for a while.)

And more than anywhere else I've worked, Josh actually treats engineers
like they are valuable, rather than a commodity.  Nobody likes being
treated like a commodity.

-Jonathan