perhaps a little too much honesty (was: RE: Job Posting (.04KReward!) Jr. Linux Admin + Windows Support)

Stuart Jansen sjansen at buscaluz.org
Sat Sep 9 16:34:01 MDT 2006

On Sat, 2006-09-09 at 13:09 -0600, Josh Coates wrote:
> stuart - this seems awfully inappropriate of you to bring up in a public
> forum.  but since you have, i feel obligated to set the record straight -
> we've had two employees that 'left quickly' because they were asked to
> leave.  however, both of them are good people that i wish well.

I don't feel that what I said should be taken as offensive. Perhaps I
should have spelled it out for you more clearly. People we know have
worked for you. They don't anymore. They haven't said anything bad about
BDS/Mozy, but their short term with your company does leave the rest of
us wondering what happened.

If you don't want a complete and honest attempt to help you wonder why
Plug isn't supplying references, don't bring it up on a public
discussion list.

Rather than taking offense, If I were you I would have pointed out the
number of people who love working with you and why.

Frankly, insinuating that they only reason anyone would leave is that
they were "asked to" is more rude in my opinion. A simple "their
interests and our needs didn't intersect well" would have been better.
I'm pretty sure at least one "chose to leave" rather than being "asked
to leave".

> > When you first arrived in the area, you earned a lot
> > of respect and good will. Since then, I think you've lost
> > some of it. I have no idea what you can do about this.
>
> thank you for your concern about my personal reputation, but i'm not sure
> where you come off making these sorts of assessments, and again, i don't why
> you think it's okay to post things like this in response to a job posting.

Because you have tried to make yourself part of the community instead of
being another nameless, faceless employer. Again, if you don't want to
discuss it, don't bring it up. Instead of taking offense, you could have
taken it as a sign of respect that I was willing to be honest and open.
I appreciate what you've tried to do for the Utah tech community. I want
BDS/Mozy to succeed. However, if you want to feel like you're being
pushed out of the community, be my guest.

> i've always tried to helpful and honest - but, yes, this often results in me
> offending people, and this will likely continue.  i apologize when it's
> appropriate, and don't when it's not.

Hmm, seems like I could say something very similar.

Stuart Jansen              e-mail/jabber: sjansen at buscaluz.org
                           google talk:   stuart.jansen at gmail.com

the results." -- Winston Churchill