C vs. the world Was: RE: Job Posting (.04K Reward!) Jr. Linux Admin + Windows Support

Steve Dibb steve at wonkabar.org
Sat Sep 9 12:50:46 MDT 2006

> On Sat, 2006-09-09 at 08:01 -0600, Josh Coates wrote:
>>i mean, java, perl, python etc are fine languages and i'm sure C# is
>>great and all - but holy crap, if you aren't proficient in C, it just
>>seems to me that you are 'half' and engineer, and will never reach
>>your full potential as a career software developer.

By that same token, if you arent using something as simple as Gentoo or
Slackware or LFS, then you don't know how to setup Linux at all and get it
running, and will never make it as a real admin.

I'm sure those pre-compiled binary distros like Debian and Fedora are nice and
all, but if you don't know what's going on in your system and why, you'll never
cut it in life.

;)

Steve