Job Posting (.04K Reward!) Jr. Linux Admin + Windows Support

Daniel C. dcrookston at gmail.com
Fri Sep 8 16:15:29 MDT 2006

On my server (Deathwing) on the Horde side (only girls and 12 year
olds play Alliance, and don't get me started on paladins), 300g can
buy you:

A non-trivial amount of an epic mount.  The game world is large, and
epic mounts move fast.  I beileve you can get the price down to 800g
if you meet certain requirements.  This is the single most expensive
purchase most people will make in WoW.

Pretty much any epic item on the auction house.  (Items in game can be
"good", "rare", "epic" or "legendary".)  Most epics can't be
purchased; those that can go for anything between 80g and 500g.

Most people, though, will use purchased gold to "twink" their "alt".
An alt is any character that is not your primary character.  Twinking
means using the resources available to your primary character to equip
your lower-level alt with gear that a character of that level normally
wouldn't have available to them, except serendipitously.  There are
areas of the game (called battlegrounds) that segregate players based
on level.  Twinking out your alts for the 10-19 battlegrounds is a
favorite passtime of many players, and it can be an expensive process.

If you consider that earning 300g in-game could take several days of
boring play, and most people who can afford to play an MMO earn $40 in
a couple of hours at work, it starts to make more sense economically.
They can either be bored in a game that they'd rather have fun with
for a few days, or put in an extra couple hours at the office for the
same end result.

I don't recall how much WoW costs to purchase initially, but it's
about $15 a month to play.  While most non-MMO games can be played
online for free, the cost to the game company of providing this
service is minimal because it's possible, once the players start the
game, to allow one of them to act as the server for the duration of
the game.  This is not possible with an MMO.  The entire in-game world
must reside on a server maintained by the game company, and the
demands on server resources are significantly higher than most other
server applications.  I don't think anyone outside Blizzard's bean
counting department knows exactly what it costs to maintain the
servers, but it can't be that cheap.  Granted, with a couple billion
subscribers they could probably afford to drop the monthly price a
bit, but the stockholders wouldn't hear of such a thing.

Dan