Weird keys problem in FC5

Steve Meyers steve-plug at spwiz.com
Fri Sep 8 15:23:40 MDT 2006

Barry Roberts wrote:
> This has been annoying me since I started using FC5, and just this
> week, I finally figured out why it works sometimes and not others.
>
> I use emacs' chords like end-of-buffer a lot.  Normally that's bound
> to Meta+> (Alt+>, i.e.  Alt+Shift+.).  Sometimes it works, sometimes
> it's just like typing a ">" character. A few days ago I finally
> figured out that what makes the difference is the order I chord the
> Alt and Shift.  If I Shift first, then Alt, I get a ">" character.  If
> I Alt first, then Shift, it works as expected.
>
> This is the same for several Alt+Shift chords I've tried and it does
> in a GNOME desktop and fluxbox.  It happens on emacs (or other
> programs) running locally, remote X via ssh, and in an ssh term.
> Anything displaying on the X server on my machine.  From a text
> console the order doesn't matter.

I have a similar problem.  I use the windows key for a couple of things,
and sometimes in FC5 it doesn't work as a meta key.  X recognizes when I
press down the windows key, but it doesn't pass it as a modifier when I
press something else while keeping the windows key down.  If I log out
and back in a few times, I can eventually get it to work.

I filed a bug report for it back when I switched to FC5, but I haven't
heard anything since then.