Storing home directories on NFS server

Stuart Jansen sjansen at buscaluz.org
Thu Sep 7 13:42:02 MDT 2006

On Thu, 2006-09-07 at 13:01 -0600, Lee Higginson wrote:
> What complications may arise (if any) by storing all home directory
> information (for example .bash_profile etc) in one location and mounting
> that to the home directories from machines on different platforms?
> Platforms that will be mounting the  nfsserver:/nfshome to their /home
> directories are Redhat Linux, Solaris, HPUX, and IBM-AIX

If users use different versions of the same software on different
platforms older versions may not be able to understand config files
created by newer versions. This is a real problem.

Settings appropriate for one OS may not be appropriate for another OS.
The importance of this issue will vary greatly depending on how the
systems are being used.

Shell configuration will either have to be kept simple, or a shell guru
will need to be around to resolve cross platform issues. This probably
won't be an issue. In my experience, most people don't do much to
customize their shell. If they do know enough to get into trouble,
they'll usually know enough to get out.

One rare issue to consider is $LANG. If you're using LANG=C on the Unix
boxen and LANG=en_US.UTF-8 on your Linux boxen, you may not get bitten
for years but when you do it'll hurt.

Stuart Jansen              e-mail/jabber: sjansen at buscaluz.org
                           google talk:   stuart.jansen at gmail.com

the results." -- Winston Churchill