Storing home directories on NFS server

Michael L Torrie torriem at chem.byu.edu
Thu Sep 7 13:39:04 MDT 2006

On Thu, 2006-09-07 at 13:17 -0600, Charles Curley wrote:

> Well, one possible problem is with different versions of the same
> program keeping their dot files straight. This might be even worse
> across unicies.
>
> Make sure either that everyone has the same uid:gid on all machines or
> that you use anon[u|g]id to translate.

For years I had a lot of if-then logic in my personal .bashrc (and
related) files to handle logging into HPUX, Solaris, and Linux.
Basically there are differences and you have to programmatically work
around them, possibly modifying the default /etc/skel files.

Running desktop UIs could have problems too.  Right now I can log into
several different flavors of Linux with my home directory and i have had
problems with the various versions of Gnome trying to share my config
files.  KDE tends to be more forgiving of this kind of thing than Gnome.

Michael