Which Distro?

Levi Pearson levi at cold.org
Mon Sep 4 00:02:09 MDT 2006

On Sep 3, 2006, at 11:52 PM, Michael Torrie wrote:

> On Sun, 2006-09-03 at 22:41 -0600, Steve wrote:
>> Are you kidding?  I actually love Gentoo, nearly all my servers run
>> it, and IMHO there is no easier server distro to admin.  OTOH I am
>> typing this from my Laptop, because if this were running Gentoo, the
>> laptop would have either melted, or X would still be compiling :)
>
> You really run Gentoo on a server?

When some people say 'server', they mean a mission-critical machine
that does important stuff and needs to be secure, stable, and managed
according to security protocols.  Other people use it to refer to a
fairly generic machine that they store their files and play with
apache on.  Both are valid definitions, but Gentoo only makes any
kind of sense on one of them. :)

		--Levi