Which Distro?

Michael Torrie torriem at chem.byu.edu
Sun Sep 3 23:51:44 MDT 2006

On Sun, 2006-09-03 at 22:20 -0600, Steve wrote:
> In otherwords...
> Gentoo iz teh r0xx0rz!

Alas gentoo is a pretty poor choice for a linode account.  There's not a
lot of disk, memory and CPU available.

I also think most folks wouldn't run gentoo on servers either (it would
violate several security doctrines unless you did only binary packages).

I also suffered greatly with Debian on linode (cursed stable vs
unstable).  Finally going to Fedora and then to RHEL. The linode box is
really intended to be a server, not a desktop development machine.

> Just as an aside, I'm currently enjoying my Kubuntu distro, it doesn't
> seem to run into dependency hell no matter what I install or
> uninstall.

That's really the beauty of apt-get or any decent management tool such
as yum.  Without apt-get, dpkg is no more or less than rpm, except that
dpkgs tend to be a little more fine-grained when it comes to
configuration options (do you want kdelibs-ssl or just kdelibs?).  If
the RPM architecture would allow for that (and the distros agree to
support multiple versions of programs), it would make my life a little
easier I think.  But it's the automatic dependency hell-make-into-heaven
features that make all the difference in the world.  Just for the
record, though, I have had dependency hell in Debian before, even with
apt-get, but it was a stable vs unstable problem.

Michael