Which Distro?

Levi Pearson levi at cold.org
Sun Sep 3 22:00:30 MDT 2006

On Sep 3, 2006, at 5:00 PM, Daniel C. wrote:

> Okay, I've got a Linode server with their minimal Debian distro on it,
> and it's just not doing it for me.  I'm trying to run the following:
>
> emacs/slime/sbcl, apache, mysql/postgresql, php/python, django, RoR,
> mod_python, mod_lisp... basically just messing around with a bunch of
> web frameworks in different languages.

I use Debian and Lisp, along with several other non-mainstream
languages.  One of my blogs runs on sbcl with the tbnl web
framework.  Your best bet with Lisp on any platform is to download
things yourself and install them in /usr/local or /opt or wherever
makes sense on your particular platform.  Programs like sbcl and
slime change often enough that you won't want to rely on packagers,
and the common-lisp-controller stuff in Debian, although kind of
nifty, can get in your way.

Debian packages work best when for stuff that's fairly stable, and
you want to have just work without thinking about it.  That's the way
an operating system should be, at least in my opinion.  Sometimes the
tools you want to use don't fit that criteria, though.  Especially
when they're fairly obscure and don't have a huge community working
on packaging them for different distros, it makes more sense to just
build them yourself.

Anyway, I'd be happy to answer questions about using Lisp for web
development, if you have any.

		--Levi