Which Distro?

Brian Beardall brian at rapsure.net
Sun Sep 3 19:52:55 MDT 2006

On Sun, 2006-09-03 at 18:01 -0600, Justin Findlay wrote:
> On AD 2006 September 03 Sunday 05:35:10 PM -0600, Matthew Walker wrote:
> > > In general, I like a small, clean distro that's got no bells or
> > > whistles, unless I add them myself.  At first I thought that's what
> > > Debian would be, and it was, until I got into this whole Lisp mess.
> > > Does anyone have any recommendations?
> >
> > You just described Gentoo.

Gentoo is no small distro. The database for the packages is quite large.
There is a possibility to build binaries with one machine with Gentoo,
and then distribute those, and then mount the database over nfs, but it
can be quite tricky.

> I'll concur that gentoo is very flexible, but is still structured with
> stable, testing, and unstable branches for each arch.  However gentoo
> seems to be easier to track down difficult bugs mainly because of how
> much control you have over what packages are installed (and how they are
> installed) on your system.  The transparency and flexibility of the
> distro is what keeps me with gentoo despite of sometimes long compile
> times although that can be much helped with caching.  It always amazes
> me how easy of a distro gentoo is to use despite it's flexibility.

Gentoo is very flexible, and I like it for it's flexibility, and that is
why I use it. However if someone just wants something up and running
with the necessary software I usually recommend Ubuntu. I find Ubuntu
quite appealing. I bet an Ubuntu install could be stripped down, but the
user would need to have the skills.

> Justin

Nothing more to say other than I was adding a few tidbit myself to
Justin's response.

Brian Beardall