Thoughts on Minix3?

Stuart Jansen sjansen at buscaluz.org
Sat Sep 2 21:36:44 MDT 2006

On Sat, 2006-09-02 at 16:52 -0600, Steve wrote:
> I know that one of the reasons we even HAVE Linux is because Linus
> Torvalds, wanted to create his own Minix variant or some such thing.
> Anyways I just noticed that Minix3 has released under a BSD license,
> and am curious to know peoples thoughts on it.

Minix3 has complex flavor that is certain to titillate though perhaps
not delight.

The experienced palate will immediately appreciate the the robust
texture common to all Unix variants.

A more careful tasting reveals musky notes of historical importance and
tangy microkernel accents with a distinct European flair. The result is
playfully exotic.

Unfortunately, the dish is spoiled by the injudicious inclusion of a
couple of additional ingredients. One cannot avoid noting the way the
texture is weakened by poignant, unrealized dreams. Worse yet are the
bitter overtones that invariably result from an inability to acknowledge
reality. In an oddly ironic twist, one can not help but compare the
resulting flavor with the GNU/HURD.

Overall, Minix3 is a delightful diversion for the adventurous but it is
hard to imagine that it will ever achieve widespread popularity or
significantly influence future gustatory creations.

Stuart Jansen              e-mail/jabber: sjansen at buscaluz.org
                           google talk:   stuart.jansen at gmail.com

the results." -- Winston Churchill