Go to the Source

Stuart Jansen sjansen at buscaluz.org
Sat Sep 2 20:58:02 MDT 2006

On Sat, 2006-09-02 at 19:06 -0700, shadoi wrote:
> That's incorrect.  From wikipedia: "...is the phenomenon that a
> patient's symptoms can be alleviated by an otherwise ineffective
> treatment, since the individual expects or believes that it will work."

Wikipedia is great resource when you're arguing about the number of
female smurfs. In can be a useful resource when looking for a decent
launching point to research a technical computer topic. In this case, I
think a site like dictionary.com would be a better choice. Just as easy
to use, but more reliable.

As it turns out, you're both wrong. A placebo is "the vespers of the
office for the dead: so called from the initial word of the first
antiphon, taken from Psalm 114:9 of the Vulgate."

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=placebo&x=0&y=0

No... wait... that can't be right. Maybe I meant:

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=placebo+effect&x=0&y=0

> It's also a fairly decent band.  It's also so far removed from the topic
>   of this mailing list that I think you're all Nazis.
>
> -Blake
>
> P.S. I hereby invoke Godwin's law.

You forgot there's an explicit exception to Godwin's law: it has no
effect if deliberately invoked. Fascist.

Stuart Jansen              e-mail/jabber: sjansen at buscaluz.org
                           google talk:   stuart.jansen at gmail.com

the results." -- Winston Churchill