Anyone using open source PBX?

Gabriel Gunderson gabe at gundy.org
Mon Oct 30 17:10:38 MST 2006

On Mon, 2006-10-30 at 16:38 -0700, Scott Morris wrote:
> We're looking into Aheeva for an open source PBX solution for our call
> center.  Does anyone have any experience with them?  Evidently, they
> have put a proprietary interface on top of Asterisk.  We're looking at
> using them, and just needed to see if anyone else has used it.

I've never used them, so I can't say anything (good or bad) about them.
However, I have used Asterisk quite a bit and have a few opinions about
it...

GUIs are nice for some things.  Asterisk, IMHO, is not one of them.  Do
you really need your receptionist to be able to tweak your dial plan?
Let the phones/systems guy do it.  Don't take away from him the power of
the command line, the simplicity of plan text configs, the joy of vim or
the comfort of source control.

Asterisk can be complex to get right, but a careful configuration can go
a long way toward making it easy.  A GUI can go a long way toward
limiting your options and keeping you from knowing what's going on.  To
me, the answer is as obvious; how would you reply to this question?
"Should we use this great little GUI to configure Apache or just let our
sysadmin do it?"

That's what I thought  ;)

Whatever you do, good luck.

Gabe