in over my head with triple-boot

Justin Findlay justin at jfindlay.us
Sun Oct 29 23:42:15 MST 2006

On AD 2006 October 29 Sunday 11:27:51 PM -0700, Christer Edwards wrote:
> The trouble I'm running into now is with file permissions.  Again, I'm
> trying to share a /home between each distro (in an attempt to keep my
> settings & profiles mobile between distros).  I find that when I login
> I get permission denied errors & GDM craps out on me.

You need to match up the UID/GID of your /home users.

ls -n /home

will tell you the uid and gid.  So, just vipw and vigr all your distros to match
each other and

chmod -R <my_uid>:<my_gid> /home/me

This is one of the few complications you will run into running a multi
distro box.  I found after booting everything from Fedora to Gentoo to
Debian to FreeBSD that I didn't spend so much time in the other distros
to make it worthwhile as distros that share principal usage, meaning
that with three distros you are going to spend at least three times as
much distro maintaince time, three times as much 'configuring gnome'
time, etc.  (Although with that last one, as long as you're sharing a
common /home shouldn't be so bad if each distro is using the same
versions of stuff, because if they aren't you'll have interesting
problems.)

Justin