in over my head with triple-boot

Michael Torrie torriem at chem.byu.edu
Sun Oct 29 22:17:40 MST 2006

On Sun, 2006-10-29 at 21:35 -0700, Shane Hathaway wrote:
> So LVM on the root partition is working for you?  I've heard that's
> problematic.  It should be possible using initramfs, but have the
> distros actually finished the work required?
>
> You might try installing without LVM.  Then you could use gparted from a
> CD to reclaim the wasted space.

One multi-boot tip I have with grub is to install each distro's grup
config to the partition itself, rather than the MBR. Then have one
distro in charge of the MBR.  Set up grub entries to chainload the other
grubs on the partitions.  This is what I do to dual-boot solaris and
fedora.  The reason I do this is so that respective kernel upgrades can
add entries to their respective grub.conf files.  If you boot all
distros from the same grub you'll have to always remember to change the
one grub.conf file.

Michael