in over my head with triple-boot

Christer Edwards christer.edwards at gmail.com
Sun Oct 29 20:42:30 MST 2006

In an attempt to complicate my life I thought I would try & setup a
triple-boot on one of my test machines lying around.  I find, as it
gets later into the evening, that things are not going as planned so I
figure I should ask for some advice.  Below is my attempted setup,
suggestions are welcome (please).

60G HDD partitioned as follows

200M          /boot          ext3
1024M        swap          swap
LVM            remaining space
10G            /dev/OS/fedora              ext3
10G            /dev/OS/ubuntu             ext3
10G            /dev/OS/suse                 ext3
25G            /dev/OS/home (I'm also attempting to share a central
/home between each)

So far I've started with fedora, added ubuntu and then fedora runs
into troubles at boot with "unable to access LABEL=SWAP-hda2".  I'm
also not sure I'm doing the partitioning correctly at each install.  I
make sure to set the /boot, swap & /home and do not format them.  At
that point I set the appropriate /dev/OS/ as / for the next distro.

I've re-installed a few times today trying to get things right but at
this point I'm wondering if I'm going about it the wrong way.  If
anyone has any tips on how to better organize it, or maybe if there is
a better distro to start/end with.. I'm stuck.

Appreciate the help.  I'll keep plugging along.

--
Christer Edwards
Founder, Ubuntu-Utah