Concurrency, was Re: Doh! Stupid Programming Mistakes <humor>

Bryan Sant bryan.sant at gmail.com
Fri Oct 27 15:54:34 MDT 2006

On 10/27/06, Michael L Torrie <torriem at chem.byu.edu> wrote:
> Alas the thing J2EE has really done is to cause a whole generation of
> programmers to consider SQL as nothing more than a persistent object
> store.  Things like triggers, stored procedures for enforcing business
> logic, etc all evoke blank stares these days (PHP is probably more to
> blame for this, though).  If we treat SQL as the model, or a model, in
> some cases rather than treating persistent objects as our model, there
> is a lot of power and flexibility (not to mention consistency) brought
> to bear on a problem.

Oh, oh.  How about Rails too?  No SQL required.  It is creating morons
as we speak!
Doesn't Catalyst do object-relational-mapping or active-record mapping
too?  It is evil as well.
Doesn't TurboGears/Zope/Django have ORM or AR?  EVIL!!
ADO.NET?  EVIL!!

Just pointing out that this isn't a JEE issue.  In fact, the ORM
concepts popularized by J2EE were so bad, that everyone else has
copied or extended that concept.  If you're a SQL bigot, then fine,
use straight JDBC.  You could always do that with JEE anyway.

Personally, I use Apache's iBATIS for my ORM needs.  I find it to be
the perfect balance between straight SQL and too much magic.

-Bryan