cygwin ": command not found"

Michael L Torrie torriem at chem.byu.edu
Fri Oct 27 15:47:22 MDT 2006

On Fri, 2006-10-27 at 14:38 -0600, Stephen Ward wrote:
> I had the same suspicion (sorry I didn't mention it in the original post).
> However, I haven't ever touched that batch file except to take a look at it
> a few moments ago.  Here are it's contents exactly:
>
> @echo off
>
> C:
> chdir C:\cygwin\bin
>
> bash --login -i

Well try running "bash --login -i" from the start->run dialog box and
see if the same thing happens.  If it does, then I'd fire up cmd, run
"bash" (bash only, no flags) and start sourcing the various files
from /etc and $HOME until you find the trigger.  Another thing to try is
to add "set -x" to the top of the /etc/profile  and/or $HOME/.bashrc
file and then run the batch file again.  And one more tip is to install
rxvt.exe and use that instead of a dos window (if memory serves):

rxvt -e bash --login -i