Concurrency, was Re: Doh! Stupid Programming Mistakes <humor>

Michael L Torrie torriem at chem.byu.edu
Fri Oct 27 15:41:24 MDT 2006

On Fri, 2006-10-27 at 14:10 -0600, Bryan Sant wrote:
> This is what J2EE set out to solve for the masses.  With the original
> J2EE systems, things were complex, but the hope was to encapsulate a
> uniform way to work with local and remote objects (among other
> things).  I've always found this to be a worthy and interesting goal.
> Enterprise Java Beans (EJBs) could be configured as a local or remote
> resource, and their role could be easily switched.  Remote
> communication could be done with a messaging protocol (which would
> work similar to MPI), or with RMI (actually RMI-IIOP, which is
> actually CORBA).

Alas the thing J2EE has really done is to cause a whole generation of
programmers to consider SQL as nothing more than a persistent object
store.  Things like triggers, stored procedures for enforcing business
logic, etc all evoke blank stares these days (PHP is probably more to
blame for this, though).  If we treat SQL as the model, or a model, in
some cases rather than treating persistent objects as our model, there
is a lot of power and flexibility (not to mention consistency) brought
to bear on a problem.