Oracle finally makes linux annoucement

Gabriel Gunderson gabe at gundy.org
Thu Oct 26 16:32:39 MDT 2006

On Thu, 2006-10-26 at 14:58 -0600, Bryan Sant wrote:
> If CentOS were bigger, they could have really hurt Red Hat too.

As a CentOS user and a fan of Red Hat, I respectfully disagree.

Without Red Hat, CentOS is nothing.  CentOS *helps* Red Hat by further
BETA testing RH's "enterprise" offerings.  The kinda of people that use
CentOS don't make good customers;  They either don't *need/want* support
or can't *afford* it.  If Red Hat were go tomorrow, CentOS would be
right behind them.

It's kinda like the "piracy" of the Open Source world, in that, the Big
Boys know it really doesn't hurt them.  They allow it (and secretly like
it) because it grooms the users into future customers when they
eventually enter a position that requires them to use a supported
version of the software.  Don't get me wrong, stealing crumby
proprietary software and re-branding an Open Source Linux distribution
are *not* comparable - allowing them just achieves the same thing.

The Oracle thing is different and much more of a real problem (one that
you can't just give the "wink-n-nod").  I suspect it will be bad for Red
Hat, but good for Linux in the end (*only after* you get past the fact
that anything that hurts RH, hurts Linux in the short term).

The GPL doesn't protect corporations, it protects the software, its
creators and its users.  There's *no* question that Red Hat understands
this.  They've no doubt evaluated this situation and many others that
threaten their business model.  As you've stated, "beat-you-at-your-own-
game-with-your-own-product" has always been an issue and they've handled
it well.  It'll hurt, but it'll be O.K.

BIG thanks to Red Hat for all you do.  I wish you luck.  When I'm not
poor, and when I own a business that needs top-notch support, you'll get
my money.

Until then, I only have the 2 cents offered here,
Gabe