Oracle finally makes linux annoucement

Barry Roberts blr at robertsr.us
Wed Oct 25 21:20:26 MDT 2006

On Wed, Oct 25, 2006 at 06:44:55PM -0600, Michael Torrie wrote:

> I guess we'll find out soon.

There's a download link on the right-hand side of the page linked in
the press release.  Four binary and four source CD's.  Mine should be
downloaded by now, but I'm not at work.  I just wanted to boot it up
and see if it had Oracle artwork instead of CentOS or RedHat.

> One thing about the press release that
> really bothered me was: "Currently, Red Hat only provides bug fixes for
> the latest version of its software. This often requires customers to
> upgrade to a new version of Linux software to get a bug fixed."  This is
> untrue.  Redhat will continue to support RHEL 2 and 3 for some time to
> come.  In fact I think Oracle only supported RHEL 3 before anyway.

The thing that really bugs me about that is that what they are
describing is Oracle, not RedHat.  RedHat supports a release for 5
years and back-ports bug and security fixes.  They just do.

It's Oracle who has told me numerous times "Oh, we fixed that in 10.2,
but we're not going to patch 10.0.3, you'll have to upgrade."

Barry