Oracle finally makes linux annoucement

Michael Torrie torriem at chem.byu.edu
Wed Oct 25 18:44:55 MDT 2006

On Wed, 2006-10-25 at 17:45 -0600, Jacob Fugal wrote:
> On 10/25/06, Charles Curley <charlescurley at charlescurley.com> wrote:
> > On Wed, Oct 25, 2006 at 06:08:52PM -0400, Grant Shipley wrote:
> > > Just in case anyone missed it this afternoon:
> > >
> > > http://www.oracle.com/corporate/press/2006_oct/Oracle-Linux-Program.html
> >
> > So, where do we download it? Bittorrent? FTP? HTTP?
>
> My impression was that they build on top of RedHat. You install a Red
> Hat system, then simply point your RedHat equivalent of
> /etc/apt/sources.list at Oracle's servers.

I guess we'll find out soon.  One thing about the press release that
really bothered me was: "Currently, Red Hat only provides bug fixes for
the latest version of its software. This often requires customers to
upgrade to a new version of Linux software to get a bug fixed."  This is
untrue.  Redhat will continue to support RHEL 2 and 3 for some time to
come.  In fact I think Oracle only supported RHEL 3 before anyway.