CHMOD Big Oops!

Michael Torrie torriem at
Wed Oct 25 18:42:04 MDT 2006

On Wed, 2006-10-25 at 07:04 -0600, David D Turley wrote:

> Any ideas before I spend several days rebuilding?  Once again my name
> gets added to the Linux Cautionary Tales list...<sigh!> Thanks again to
> all the earlier responders!!!

I did something very similar today, except my mistake was to chown the
entire filesystem, which is just as bad.  What I ended up doing was
going to another machine that was almost identical and running:

find /usr | while read f; do stat "$f" --prinf "chown $U:$G $n ; chmod
$a $n\n" ; done > /tmp/filelist

then I copied this file to the bad machine and went:
bash /tmp/filelist

Eventually I got the files pretty much fixed.