Oracle finally makes linux annoucement

Charles Curley charlescurley at charlescurley.com
Wed Oct 25 17:57:19 MDT 2006

On Wed, Oct 25, 2006 at 05:45:34PM -0600, Jacob Fugal wrote:
> On 10/25/06, Charles Curley <charlescurley at charlescurley.com> wrote:
> >On Wed, Oct 25, 2006 at 06:08:52PM -0400, Grant Shipley wrote:
> >> Just in case anyone missed it this afternoon:
> >>
> >> http://www.oracle.com/corporate/press/2006_oct/Oracle-Linux-Program.html
> >
> >So, where do we download it? Bittorrent? FTP? HTTP?
>
> My impression was that they build on top of RedHat. You install a Red
> Hat system, then simply point your RedHat equivalent of
> /etc/apt/sources.list at Oracle's servers.

They are definitely building on RH. My impression was they were
building their own clone, a la White Box or CentOS. I thought the bit
about pointing your RHN to their servers ("To get Oracle support for
Red Hat Linux all you have to do is point your Red Hat server to the
Oracle network.") instead of RH's was for folks who have RH now and
want to switch. So do you buy RHEL, then switch or is there aome way
to start new with just Oracle?