Enterprise Backup Solution

Corey Edwards tensai at zmonkey.org
Wed Oct 25 14:52:28 MDT 2006

On Wed, 2006-10-25 at 10:34 -0600, Doran Barton wrote:
> Our client that uses bacula was using NetVault for Linux for a while and
> bacula ROCKS, big time, compared to NetVault.

We moved from NetVault to Bacula and I would recommend it. NetVault has
a lot of quirks and for the price didn't seem to work all that well.

More and more we've been moving to online disk backups. Tape is slow and
expensive. The one advantage of tape is that you can take it off site
for long term storage. That may be of interest for you. For us, not so
much. With Bacula you can create virtual tape drives on disk and still
take advantage of the scheduling and such. I've got a handful of servers
doing that as well. In other cases we're using rsync. And in yet others
we rely on application level mirroring. Just depends on what your
recovery needs are.

Corey