Enterprise Backup Solution

Charles Curley charlescurley at charlescurley.com
Wed Oct 25 11:51:03 MDT 2006

On Wed, Oct 25, 2006 at 10:34:41AM -0600, Doran Barton wrote:
> Gabriel Gunderson wrote:
> > On Tue, 2006-10-24 at 15:03 -0600, Daniel wrote:
> >> I would prefer to do this on a Linux box (preferably Fedora),
> >> I would need to have a tutorial that will work -- I have had problems
> >> installing both the previously mentioned solutions with available
> >> tutorials -- and I have until November 7th to come up with a viable
> >> solution.  What suggestions do you have?  Your help is appreciated.

> Now... about the backup software. Amanda is... weird. It's not like any
> commercial backup software I've ever seen. It does the job but it doesn't
> have a lot of the features you may have come to expect if you've been using
> backup suites like Veritas. Amanda seems to have been designed to be a set of
> utilities for using 'tar' as your backup mechanism. Bacula, on the other
> hand, was designed from the ground up to provide the types of functions that
> traditional enterprise backup solutions provide.
>
> Our client that uses bacula was using NetVault for Linux for a while and
> bacula ROCKS, big time, compared to NetVault.

One reason I went with Amanda over Bacula is precisely because it uses
tar or dump (your choice). I can get to a file in a backup using a
live CD with tar and DD on it if I need to. We don't need no stinking
proprietary backup formats.

Another reason is that Amanda takes care of scheduling, which is fine
by me.