CHMOD Big Oops!

Richard Scott McNew richard.scott.mcnew at gmail.com
Tue Oct 24 23:02:37 MDT 2006

On 10/24/06, Richard Scott McNew <richard.scott.mcnew at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 10/24/06, Gabriel Gunderson <gabe at gundy.org> wrote:
> > On Tue, 2006-10-24 at 22:27 -0600, David D Turley wrote:
> > > Ok, lets say I "accidently" executed the command:
> > >
> > > chmod -R 777 .
> > >
> > > from the root directory.  What do I need to do to re-secure my system
> > > and undo this big oops?
> >
> > Unless you had a database of file permissions (intrusion detection often
> > does this) before the "big oops", I don't see anyway to bring this back
> > to a sane state.  Bad file permissions are a huge security risk.  I'd
> > look at re-installing.  Sorry.
> >

> > /*
> > Don't fear the penguin.
> > */
> >

> I'm not sure if it would solve all of your permission problems, but I'd try:
>
> find / -type f -exec chmod 600 '{}' \; find / -type d -exec chmod 700 '{}' \;
>
> before moving straight to a re-install.

Afterthought:
You would need to manually go into your /bin, /usr/bin, /sbin,
/usr/sbin, and other directories to make the binaries executable.  In
fact, you would want to make sure to not set any of the files in those
directories as non-executable.  If you set chmod to non-executable
that WOULD be a problem.