CHMOD Big Oops!

Ryan Simpkins plug at
Tue Oct 24 22:35:09 MDT 2006

On Tue, October 24, 2006 22:27, David D Turley wrote:
> Ok, lets say I "accidently" executed the command:
> chmod -R 777 .
> from the root directory.  What do I need to do to re-secure my system and
> undo this big oops?

Odd. I just helped someone else last week that did something similar. Those pesky
recursive commands.

Assuming you do not have a complete system backup to get an image of all previous

I recommend backing up any data you have (databases, settings, etc) and reinstalling
your system. Then carefully move files back over. If you have the ability - back up
the entire system to be sure you won't miss anything.

Then, never combined -R and . or / again. ;)