booting an old IBM server

Jason Holt jason at lunkwill.org
Tue Oct 24 11:43:03 MDT 2006

On Tue, 24 Oct 2006, Derek Davis wrote:

> On 10/23/06, Michael Halcrow <mike at halcrow.us> wrote:
>> There is dark netboot magic that you can conjure on many of these
>> boxen. With old PPC machines that I have used, it is possible to go
>> into the firmware boot manager and specify a tftp server from which to
>> pull down a kernel image and initrd image.
>>
>> Alternatively, you can get a PXE (pre-execution) image, which is
>> essentially a bootloader that, in turn, pulls down a kernel/initrd,
>> and it's a bit more user-friendly than a raw tftp interface for the
>> kernel/initrd. A co-worker of mine has done this successfully to boot
>> Knoppix.
>>
>> Mike
>
> Awesome, thanks for the info.

I told you he had to help!  Wait, wait, watch this...

Ahem. So, I picked up a server at DI the other day.  It seems to be an IBM
System/370 Model 145.  Could somebody make up a live tape for me so I can run
gentoo on it?  I think that'll be the best distro since this machine looks a
little older, so the performance increase will be notable.