[OT] Windows Flame Fest, was AAA Linux Games Titles, was September Web Site Statistics

Andrew McNabb amcnabb at mcnabbs.org
Thu Oct 12 14:59:24 MDT 2006

On Thu, Oct 12, 2006 at 02:46:35PM -0600, Ryan Simpkins wrote:

> I think a Windows poll is:
> 1) Not very useful.

It's useful to me.  I would like to know whether PLUG members use Linux
all the time or just at work.  I honestly don't know the answer to the
question, and a poll would be a useful way to get information.

> 2) Not Linux related.

How do you figure? :)

"What operating systems do you use and to what degree?" seems like a
very Linux-related question.  Since Windows is so much more prevalent
than any other operating system, the only way to trim the poll into less
than 1000 options is to talk about Windows and non-Windows operating
systems.  In any case, it is very Linux related.

> 3) Possibly inflammatory (not what I wanna deal with on the web site).

The only possibly inflammatory part of the questions I posted is "Linux
stinks!"  Remove that, and it's purely informational.

> 4) Not fun.

Not to rain on your parade, but did you really think that "Do you like
the Drupal version of PLUG?" is a fun poll? :)

> 5) Probably best kept in a flame fest of world war three proportions
> on a mailing list like PLUG. This can counteract all of the above!

If you just do it on the mailing list, you won't get a nice aggregated
bar graph, and you'll probably get fewer votes.

For the record, I suspect that most people on the list will answer 3,
but I'm really not sure.  If I knew, I wouldn't want to do a poll.

--
Andrew McNabb
http://www.mcnabbs.org/andrew/