[OT] AAA Linux Games Titles, was September Web Site Statistics

Michael L Torrie torriem at chem.byu.edu
Thu Oct 12 13:35:54 MDT 2006

On Thu, 2006-10-12 at 12:02 -0600, Steve wrote:
> But thats my whole point, exactly.
> It is a chicken and egg scenario.  However if Linux users, just said
> "hey I'm not going to buy it because there is no native version", and
> then stuck to their guns and didn't go buy, there would be enough of
> us to make a difference.
>
> I mean seriously, how many of us run Linux?  How many of us buy games?
> What impact would it make to publishers to see the Linux community
> openly boycotting a game purchase because it's not available for their
> platform.  And instead us Linux folks start spending money on games
> that at least have a native Linux version.

I think the real question for the game developers is, how many of us run
windows?  Even on this list it's probably over 2/3.  If you count the
spare windows box or vm we have "just in case" it's up over 90% I'd
wager.  So from a simple economics pov game companies aren't going to
target linux even if there are a few folks that vocally let them know
they've lost a customer.  Yes it is a chicken-and-egg problem.  But it's
worse than that.  Almost all gamers I know who do have a linux install
also dual-boot windows specifically for their fix.  They are unwilling
to live without these games and the game manufacturers know this.  If
people were willing to say, you know, if the game is not available on
linux then it is not worth having, maybe then the companies would take
notice, but not until.  Note that this was not so in the Macintosh world
(in the past anyway) where users were loyal to their platform and did
say it's either the Mac way or no way.  And there were games ported over
the years to Mac.  Unfortunately the technological short-comings of the
Mac Platform before OS X really killed the game market, and also the
market was always minuscule even if the Mac gamers were vocal.

In short I don't believe we'll ever see a market boycott of just about
any product in these days when we see luxury goods as a need.

> What would happen to open source game projects, if instead of us
> buying games like CS we spent the equivalent amount of money as a
> donation to a worthy linux native game?

I agree whole-heartedly.  Although I'm one of those who doesn't buy
games anyway, and doesn't play them.

> If the money flows to those who are willing to make Linux games, it
> will inspire others to make Linux games, especially if the publisher
> is notified.

I really want to know the answer to this question:  Why did Loki die,
and what indicates a linux-oriented company wouldn't face the same fate?
Is there really a linux gaming market?

> "Hey D&D I didn't buy your windows only game and instead spent my $25
> on game x because it has a native Linux version"
>
> How long do you think this would take to effect a change?  A major change?
> Christmas is just up around the corner.

If everyone who uses linux and who is a gamer did this, it may have some
minor impact.

> Imagine if Xmas boxed game sales were impacted by every Linux user
> saying "Hey sorry big box game sales person, but I bought Gish, or
> Orbz or Think Tanks,  Or I spent my money on Planeshift, instead of
> World of Warcraft"

I honestly think they'd either stare at you blankly or laugh.

> You see thats the whole point I'm making, a change has to happen to
> attitudes and it should start here with us.

I see the point for sure.  Just trying to be the devil's advocate here
since we all know he's just not as persuasive as he used to be...

Michael