[OT] AAA Linux Games Titles, was September Web Site Statistics

Steve smorrey at gmail.com
Thu Oct 12 12:02:20 MDT 2006

But thats my whole point, exactly.
It is a chicken and egg scenario.  However if Linux users, just said
"hey I'm not going to buy it because there is no native version", and
then stuck to their guns and didn't go buy, there would be enough of
us to make a difference.

I mean seriously, how many of us run Linux?  How many of us buy games?
What impact would it make to publishers to see the Linux community
openly boycotting a game purchase because it's not available for their
platform.  And instead us Linux folks start spending money on games
that at least have a native Linux version.

What would happen to open source game projects, if instead of us
buying games like CS we spent the equivalent amount of money as a
donation to a worthy linux native game?

If the money flows to those who are willing to make Linux games, it
will inspire others to make Linux games, especially if the publisher
is notified.
"Hey D&D I didn't buy your windows only game and instead spent my $25
on game x because it has a native Linux version"

How long do you think this would take to effect a change?  A major change?
Christmas is just up around the corner.
Imagine if Xmas boxed game sales were impacted by every Linux user
saying "Hey sorry big box game sales person, but I bought Gish, or
Orbz or Think Tanks,  Or I spent my money on Planeshift, instead of
World of Warcraft"

You see thats the whole point I'm making, a change has to happen to
attitudes and it should start here with us.

You might think I'm crazy here, but thats exactly the way gaming used to be.
There was a time when if a game was released for the C64 it was also
on the TRS80, Apple II, and was likely also on the IBM, and etc.
Pole Position anyone?

This is a simple change and we as a community have the power to effect
this change.  I mean seriously don't you feel insulted that a platform
that you have helped to build and you support everyday is literally
being ignored by the majority of game manufacturers because of this
exact same chicken and egg scenario?

Regards,
Steve

p.s. Does anyone else remember Cedegas old slogan?  "Preventing Native Ports!"
Think they were kidding?