Cloning Machines

Bryan Sant bryan.sant at
Wed Oct 11 11:35:39 MDT 2006

On 10/11/06, Kimball Larsen <kimball at> wrote:
> How about some sort of network boot solution that just pops up a menu
> of which image I'd like to slam on the box?  That would be cool. :)
> -- Kimball

The Linux Terminal Server Project has all clients boot their kernel
from the network (or a floppy).  The goals of this project may not be
exactly what you're trying to do, but the PXE boot concepts are well
covered.  This gentoo link has a nice distilled article on setting
things up for PXE boot clients.  You could have a kernel that your
client's boot from and NFS shares that everyone mounts.

I've never actually done this, but I've always wanted too.  Knock
yourself out :-).