Linux Development Environment (IDE)

Scott Paul Robertson spr at mahonri5.net
Mon Oct 9 19:02:08 MDT 2006

On Mon, Oct 09, 2006 at 02:21:48PM -0600, Michael L Torrie wrote:
> There are a couple of things about these new vim features that have
> really started to bug me.  They are that the advanced features like
> completion, etc require an emacs-like keystroke to enable.  In Visual
> Studio, Kdevelop, or eclipse, the editor is a lot smarter than that.
> Simply typing "." or "->" after an object name presents a drop-down list
> of possibilities, which narrows as you type.  This is similar to the
> Omni completion thing in Vim 7, but doesn't require C-x C-o key stroke.
> If I wanted a hand cramp I'd have used emacs in the first place.

I've never used omnicomplete (C-x C-o). Honestly it never seems to work
for me (not the way I'd want it to). I'm still just using C-n (standard
completion) and happy with that. Heck this is Vim. Remap C-x C-o to tab.
If you need a tab (I rarely need a literal one) you can C-v <tab>
in insert mode.

> So I'm torn between the wonderful eclipse environment of completion,
> integrated refactoring tools, etc, and the wonderful two-mode Vim
> interface.  And no the vim plugin for eclipse does not cut it (and the
> vim plugin for Visual Studio isn't what you think it is).

What do you mean that the plugin for VS isn't what you think? I used
(one of) the vim plugin(s), and it gave me vim keybindings to the best
extent you can while being in VS. I'm told Microsoft has an in-house
one, but like we get to toy with that.

--
Scott Paul Robertson
http://spr.mahonri5.net