Linux Development Environment (IDE)

Corey Edwards tensai at zmonkey.org
Mon Oct 9 13:43:31 MDT 2006

On Mon, 2006-10-09 at 13:22 -0600, Doran L. Barton wrote:
> Chris Carey wrote:
> > Can I please get some suggestions for free development environments on
> > Linux?
> >
> > I've used NetBeans for Java dev many years ago. I'm looking for
> > something for C and C++ code.
>
> Google for Eclipse or Kdevelop.

I whole-heartedly second these recommendations. I personally prefer
KDevelop, but whatever floats your boat.

But I do recommend you also learn how to use VIM (or Emacs), make and
autotools. For some projects they can be the path of least resistance
and they are quite extensively used for free software. One thing I like
about KDevelop is that it actually exports a make file, a configure
script, etc.

Corey