Library recommendations for web server and image manipulation

Andrew McNabb amcnabb at mcnabbs.org
Mon Oct 9 10:23:42 MDT 2006

I think the old quote is, "Premature optimization is the root of all
evil."  Not knowing anything about the details of your situation, my
guess would be that your slowness is coming from the image processing
part of the system.

At least up front, I would recommend writing the image processor in C++.
I have a little bit of experience with libmagick, and except for poor
documentation, I was very pleased with it.  Once you have an image
processor, swap it in place of your Python version (there are some good
tools for interfacing between Python and C).

I would personally leave as much of my code in Python as possible
because I like being happy. :)

On Sun, Oct 08, 2006 at 08:35:16PM -0600, Dave Smith wrote:

>    1. A web server
>          Currently using SimpleHTTPServer. Would like to use libHTTP
> (do you know of any others).

Lots of people have written web servers.  If you're going to have many
users, I'd recommend using some of the great stuff that's already out
there, like Apache and lighttpd.

Those are my thoughts.

--
Andrew McNabb